One of the most important tasks that you will face during your career is acquiring listings. This task can easily be done by yourself if you are working alone, however if you are using a professional agent then the task becomes exponentially easier as they are in a better position to provide you listings that you may not find on your own.
In a previous article we looked at the main tasks that you will encounter when trying to attract new business, and in this article we will be looking at some of the tactics that are utilized by agents in order to achieve higher levels of results.
It may be difficult to believe but there are actually tactics to be utilized in this industry. The reason that agents employ some of these tactics is that they are the only ones who can provide you access to the leads that you need in order to operate your real estate business.
Here are some tactics that you can use as part of your own process of prospecting:
1. Keep your eye out all over town and don't restrict your search to high profile locations. Look for all the properties in your preferred areas of business and leisure such as hospitals, schools, shopping centers, commercial property etc.
2. Try and maximize your time spent in the office, and minimize your time spent out. It makes no sense to go to a property that you know you can't convert, so look for all the properties that you can and do a good business day when you do go.
3. If you are running a commercial team, try and make your commercial property visits as productive as possible. Try and ensure that you convert every listing that you visit to a meeting for subsequent opportunity.
These simple 3 things will really help the process for you to maximize the exposure of your business and get more meetings which will yield better clients. When you do have a listing that you can show and talk about, maximize the information that you give away during the presentation. If you give away too many details you will never get the listing. This is probably the biggest mistake that agents make, they give away the goldmine of information and they never get the opportunity to convert the listing to a meeting.
So you have the listing, the listing is on the market. Now all you need to do is get the right person to see this property from that meeting and that can be done in a number of ways.
* You can walk up and introduce yourself and your business and get a meeting
* You can call a meeting at the property, that is great if you have the time and ability for that
* You can advertise the listing on the internet, this is not something I advocate heavily in my business, I think it is an acceptable way of growing your database and the majority of the agents that I have worked with have been really bad at it because they have had too many properties already to promote and it is just not a focus for me. Most of the listings that I have sold have come from other agents bringing them to me and I think that is good practice for you to do as well, because it is free advice and it will get you more results
When it comes right down to it, the best way to grow your business is to grow your database. If it is a focus for you then do that and do it well, if not then do what you can to get as many listings as possible, then use advertising to grow your database.